Thursday, September 27, 2012

Blue Dichroic Glass Brooch



Is it just me or has time started to fly super duper fast lately! it feels like this month whooshed passed me and it totally took me by surprise! As a whole September was a bit of a disappointment. I had plans to go back home and spent September emptying up my bank account in the bead stores of London and lounging the rest of it in Brighton with my cousin, but alas plans change and I am stuck in New Jersey! To get my mind off of things I am thinking of actually going to see a play up in New York called Grace with Paul Rudd and maybe just maybe get some retail therapy done in the bead stores of NYC!
But I digress. As I am sat here watching a marathon of Castle on TV I thought I would write about the piece that has been the main image on my page since I first started this blog about a month or so ago!
Most of the bead embroidery pieces I see are done around stone cabochons but as I have mentioned before I just haven’t been able to find nice cabochons and the ones that I seem to like are ridiculously expensive and that’s why I like making my own ones with art images. But a few months back again on one of my outings to Michaels I found these dichroic pendants which I thought would make a nice focal cabs for my beading. I bought a round one and an oval one, I would have got more but I didn’t know how hard it would be to get the bails off the cabs. The bail on the oval cabochon came off pretty easily, the one on this round one not so much. After a lot of huffing and puffing I managed to get the bail off without damaging the piece, which was a relief.
The good thing about a focal stone like this for me was that no matter what colour bead I chose to do around it would have complimented the plethora of colours that are visible in the dichroic glass in some way or another
Once the bezel was done I started adding other cabochons, the teardrop cabochons are actually jewel sticker pieces from recollection that I found in the scrapbooking section of Michaels.
I am thinking that maybe with the oval dichroic glass that I got I could make the same type of beading but make it into a headband. I have never made head pieces before so it might be a nice challenge!
LIST OF MATERIALS USED:

Posted by Mana © BeadFeast. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Hi, do you have tutorials on the pieces you make? I'm curious about how, exactly, you make your own cabochons. Would you mind sharing info? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, i don't have a tutorial on how i make my cabochons but the one used in this particular piece is any actual dichroic glass that i recycled from a necklace. but on some pieces i use resin cabochons which i make by mixing different types of glitter with 2 part epoxy resins and using different moulds . there are lots of videos on youtube that show you how to make your own resin cabs . my favorites are:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQQFofng9CY and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhG_CYiYAyg hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete