I have mentioned I am going back and posting my earlier pieces now that I have photos of them to share.The piece here marks my first ever attempt at making a necklace. I had made pendant like stuff but this is the first complete necklace .
I am not so much into ultra feminine pieces , I like things a little bit more edgy and to be honest the only reason I chose this Tamara de Lempicka picture was because I had a good lot of red stones and beads that would work with this piece and I was still trying to figure out my own style of doing things.
Looking back my earlier pieces I can see how simple they are but I also remember how hard they were for me to figure out at that point. The component making part was ok because I had some practice with the beading part but conneting the pieces together and making it into a functional piece was a totally different story ,it still is to be honest. I still struggle with attaching clasps and such and if I could find a class that taught the basics of jewelry making that worked with my schedule I would be the first to sign up!
This piece, apart from from the resin cabochon with the Tamara de Lempicka picture , uses two ruby red paua shell cabochons. After finishing off the components ,came the dreaded time of attaching everything together.
I believe I strung on the different beads a hundred different ways and in different sequences in order to get them the right length and have them lay in the way I was looking for. I am probably exaggerating by saying it took a hundred tries but it sure felt like it! It was enough to put me off trying to make another necklace for a while , this might explain why I have only made a handful of necklaces since I started beading.
When the stringing part was finished came the next obstacle! Attaching the clasp! I went through the loop of the clasp with my thread a couple of times and just went down through the strung beads until I got to the first beaded component where I went through the beads with my string to make it as secure as possible. It was only a week or so back when I was looking for a better way of attachhing clasps and looking at how other beaders are attaching their clasps that I was finally able to figure that there was a better, cleaner way of attaching clasps!! Oh well at least I know what to do from now on! :D
LIST OF MATERIALS USED:
- 1 1/8” INCH RESIN CABOCHON
- 15MM RUBY PAUA CABOCHON
- 3x4MM FACETED RUBY GLASS BEADS
- 6MM RUBY FIRE POLISHED GLASS BEADS
- JET BLACK SWAROVSKI BICONE
- SILVER LINED MAHOGANY SEED BEADS SIZE 11/0
- OPAQUE BLACK SEED BEADS SIZE 11/0
- OPAQUE BLACK SEED BEADS SIZE 15/0
- SILVER LINED GARNED SEED BEADS SIZE 15/0
- GOLD METAL ROUND SEED BEADS SIZE 15/0
- WILDFIRE THREAD
- LACY'S STIFF STUFF
- BLACK ULTRA SUEDE
- E-600 GLUE
Posted by Mana © BeadFeast. All Rights Reserved